Ben and I take our kids camping every year. It is a ton of fun, and who doesn't love campfires and smores!! One thing we are very adamant about is making sure that the fire is 100% put out when we are done with it. We always drown it with water, and then watch it to make sure no sparks are left. We listen to Smokey the Bear!!
I am reaching out to you on behalf of the Smokey Bear campaign, sponsored by the Ad Council, the U.S. Forest Service and the National Association of State Foresters, to ask for your support in raising awareness for Fire Prevention Month. The sad truth is that nearly 9 out of 10 wildfires are still caused by humans:
- In 2014 there were 7,933 wildfires caused by lightning, but 55,679 wildfires caused by human error (as reported to the National Interagency Fire Center).
- In 2014 more than 3.5 million acres burned due to wildfires in the U.S. of those, more than 1.5 million acres burned due to human-caused wildfires.
We can also be more responsible in our homes when it comes to fire safety as well. Half of home fire deaths result from fires reported between when most people are asleep. Only one in five home fires was reported during these hours.
How can you help support Fire Prevention Month?
- Learn how to build a SAFE campfire to prevent wildfires
- See how easily burning debris can start a wildfire
- Understand how proper equipment maintenance can reduce wildfires
- Safety is not only important indoors, but also around your property and community
Community Fire Safety
- How to prevent and detect fires inside your home
Home Fire Safety
Pledge to be smart when using fire outdoors so you can do your part to prevent wildfires.
- Understand why some wildfires are caused by careless behavior
It Could Be You
- Sign up to
Take the Pledge
- National Tally
Don't forget, Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires!!!
This post is written by Sarah Coulsey. She is a Wife, and Mother of two boys living in New England. This post may contain affiliate links.