We love our dogs! Many of us are so fond of their dogs they treat them as full-fledged members of the family, and with utmost care. We keep them fed, take them for regular check-ups and give them plenty of exercise and attention. Many people refer to their dogs as their “fur-babies” and some people consider themselves to be “dog parents”.
However, as much as we love our dogs, we must remember they are not humans. They have their own nutritional needs and people food is sometimes dangerous for them. That's why it's extremely important to know which products are acceptable in a dog’s diet and which are not safe.
Of course, it is best to feed your pets with food dedicated especially for them. Such quality products can be expensive, but they're necessary for the health of your dog. Sometimes you can find some good deals that will help you buy whatever you need at a lower price, so remember to look for Kohls coupons or other promos.
Still, there are some natural human food products that dogs can consume safely. The examples include eggs, chicken (without bones and cooked), carrots, green beans, pumpkin, beef, peanut butter, oat meal, yogurt, apple slices. In limited quantities these foods are harmless, and you can easily add them to your pet’s diet.
It's important to pay attention to the following list of food that is unsafe for your dog. These products can make your pet very sick and in extreme cases even cause death:
Chocolate is toxic to dogs and the darker it is the worse. Eating chocolate may cause extreme thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, pacing, panting and seizures.
Milk, cheese, dairy products
Milk is hard for most dogs to digest and can cause cramping, gas and upset its stomach. That's because milk contains sugar that dogs do not have the enzymes to break down. The same applies to cheese and dairy products.
The specific reason is unclear but many dogs have become seriously ill or have died after eating macademia nuts, so it's best to avoid them. Otherwise, your dog faces the risk of strong pain and losing mobility.
Grapes & raisins
Grapes and raisins are poisonous to your dog and can cause kidney failure.
Onions & garlic
Onions damage the red blood cells in your dog, which can lead to serious illness. Garlic is a part of the onion family and it is stronger than most onions.
Not only does avocado upsets your pet's stomach, it also can cause a dog not to be able to breathe properly, so it's potentially live-threatening.
Even a very small amount of alcohol can cause your dog to become intoxicated. It may lead to seizures, alcohol poisoning and death.
The core of apples, pears, peaches and most fruits
The cores of the above mentioned fruits contain cyanide and though there is not enough content to kill a person, for a dog it is enough to hurt or kill them. Be careful not to discard the cores in any place where the dog can find them.
What can you do if you believe your dog has consumed something toxic? Of course, you should call your veterinarian. Act as soon as possible, as the sooner you help your dog, the less he will suffer. Early intervention can also lower the costs of treatment. Your veterinarian will need to know the size of your dog and the amount of the food you suspect he ate. He will also ask if the dog is showing any concerning symptoms.
In most cases the dog will vomit the noxious food on his own, although it may take a few hours before the side effects subside and he begins to behave normally. However, if your dog is in distress and has not purged on his own, you may give him hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. You would typically use one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide for every 20 pounds of weight. One way to get your dog to take the peroxide is to put a little peanut butter in a bowl and pour the hydrogen peroxide around the edges. The dog will normally lap the bowl clean, thus consuming the peroxide.
It is fine to treat your pooch with a scrap of human food from time to time, as long as you choose products that are safe. Remember – if your dog shows any signs of discomfort after consuming something, please contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
This post is written by Sarah Coulsey. She is a Wife, and Mother of two boys living in New England. This post may contain affiliate links.