This story had a great plot line, but was a little hard to follow. The characters all have a Scottish accent, and the author writes as they would speak. You really need to pay close attention to the words to understand their meaning.
"Lady Fiona, wed in haste, has never known marital peace. When last she'd seen her cruel husband Will, he'd struck her - and she has no memory of what she did next - only that she woke later alone in her bedchamber. Will has gone missing, and Fiona fears that in her rage and terror she might somehow have killed him. When her husband's cousin Sir Richard comes to search for Will, Fiona is touched by his warm nature. A knight and warrior, Richard is drawn to Fiona's brave manner, quickly seeing in her an equal measure of inner courage. Confessing that she fears having killed Will, Fiona accepts Richard's offer to help her. Pursuing together the mystery of Will's disappearance, they fall in love. Meanwhile the English are reinforcing their garrison in the Scottish Borderlands, putting Fiona, Richard, and Scotland in peril...."
The other thing about the story that was not so much bothersome, but of course a true period detail, was the fact that Fiona was only 15 when she got married, and 17 when she is pregnant.
I know that was common practice in the 1500's, but I hate to think of the heroine as a child.
Otherwise, this was a very good story, with a happy ending (my favorite!!)
I am excited to let two of you have a chance to read this too!!!
My friend Anna has generously agreed to give away 2 copies of this book to lucky Sarah's Blog Of Fun Readers!!!
Entering this giveaway is really easy.
1. Tell me what your favorite book is!! (+1 entry)
1. Sign up for Hachette Books Newsletter (+1 entry)
2. Tell me one other book from their site you would like to read (+1 entry)
3. Grab my BRAND NEW button and tell me where it is (+2 entries)
4. Be an email subscriber of my blog (+2 entries)
5. Follow me on Twitter (+1 entry)
6. Tweet about this giveaway (+1 entry)
Example- I am hooked on reading @SarahsBlogOfFun
7. Blog about this giveaway and leave link in your comments (+5 entries)
That's 14 possible entries!!!
Giveaway ends on August 8th 2010 at 11:59pm. Open to US and Canada readers only. A valid email address must be in all comments. Winner has 48 hrs to respond or new winner will be drawn.
This giveaway was made possible by Hachette Books.
* All opinions expressed are 100% my own. I was given a copy of the book to read for my review*